A slab leak is simply an ordinary pipe leak that takes place under the foundation of your house or patio, beneath concrete that can’t easily be reached. This means that the slab leak can go months or even years doing its damage in secret before you even notice. Luckily, our trained experts can get you the help you need as quickly as possible, but we can’t come in unless you call us, and you can’t call us unless you know that there’s a problem. Here’s a quick rundown on some ways to detect a slab leak.
- Higher Bills. Your water bill can be a good indicator of a problem, especially if it spikes without any attendant rise in use. It could be the water from the slab leak escaping, forcing you to pay for water you don’t use.
- Over time, the water from the leak can disrupt the concrete, itself, forming stress lines and cracks in the foundation or patio.
- Dripping or Running Water Noises. Some slab leaks can be very subtle, forcing the plumber to use high-end equipment like sonic detectors to pinpoint it. In some cases, however, you can detect that there’s a problem by listening for dripping noises or running water in places whey there shouldn’t be.
- Hot and Cold Spots. Sometimes, hot and cold pipes will announce a leak by creating a warm spot or a cool spot at the point of the leak. You can feel them with your hands if you check carefully, indicating that something is very wrong.
- Sometimes the easiest indicators are still the best. If puddles show up around the base of your slab, it’s a sure sign that something is wrong. Turn off the system and call a repair service.
The pros at Avis Plumbing, Heating and Air can detect and repair slab leaks in your home.