Leaks in plumbing can be tricky things. It’s easy enough to shut off the water and call in a plumber when you wake up to water spreading across the kitchen in your Rancho Cucamonga, CA home. But so much of your plumbing lies out of sight, in the crawlspaces of your walls or even underground in some cases. A plumbing leak that’s out of sight could go on for weeks or even months, causing a great deal of damage in the process. A good plumber can take care of the problem, but you need to know that a problem exists before you can contact someone. Here’s a brief list of symptoms to look for in order to do that.
- Soft Spots. Over time, the water leaking out of the pipe can soften drywall and other components in your home. It usually occurs after the leak has been going on for some time.
- Higher Bills. That leaking water still shows up on your bill, even though you don’t use it. An unexpected spike in your monthly water bill could be the sign of a hidden leak somewhere.
- Noises. Not every leak makes a noise, but if you detect the sounds of drips or running water in places you shouldn’t, it’s probably a sign of a significant leak.
- Lower Water Pressure. A leak often diverts water from a specific outlet or multiple outlets. You can spot them by noticing if the flow of water out of the affected outlets is reduced.
- Check the Meter. Once surefire way to spot a leak is to check your meter, refrain from using the water in your home for 20-30 minutes, then check it again. If the number goes up, you’ve got a leak.
The moment you spot the signs of a leak, turn off the water to your home and call the pros at Avis Plumbing, Heating and Air today!