The Inland Empire always gets hot in the summer and this year is no different. Here in Riverside, CA, you can expect triple-digit temperatures quite often, and when they hit, your air conditioner needs to respond. Conversely, if you spot signs of air conditioning trouble, you need to act as quickly as possible. It could mean the difference between a small repair bill and a much larger one, and in any case calling now will allow the issue to be corrected as quickly as possible. The specifics vary depending upon the problem, but a few common signs crop up no matter what. The more you familiarize yourself with them, the faster you can respond. They can include (but are not limited to):
- Strange Noises. “Strange” qualifies as anything you don’t recognize from the system’s normal operation, including buzzes, sparks, thumps, bangs, gurgles, whines and hums.
- Low Air Output. A clog in the tubes or problem with the fan can often lower the air flow, as can breaches in the ducts or a problem with the electrical connections.
- Lack of Cool Air. Sometimes, the air is flowing just find, but it’s not as cool as it needs to be. This is often caused by low refrigerant, but can also happen when the compressor array is malfunctioning or when breaches in the system pull hot air in from outside.
- Short Cycling. Short cycling is the term used for an air conditioner that turns off and on again many times throughout the day. It can be caused by a number of issues, but all of them are extremely hard on the system.
- Higher Bills. Sometimes, nothing seems to be wrong on the surface, but a malfunctioning component forces your system to work much harder than it should to do its job. You’ll notice this by looking for unusual spikes in your monthly bills.
If you spot any signs of air conditioning trouble, turn off your system and contact the experts at Avis Plumbing, Heating & Air immediately!