Summers in China, CA are as hot as they come, as recent weeks have reminded us most painfully. When the heat comes in relentless waves, you need your air conditioner to function at its peak, and that includes components like the ducts which you wouldn’t normally consider when it comes to solving problems. Since the ducts are normally hidden out of sight in your home, it can be hard to notice a problem such as a breach or a break in the ducts.
You need to move quickly on duct breaches since they waste energy, and every minute you continue to run your system costs you money, as well as adding strain to the other parts of your air conditioner. Without swift action, the results could even create a breakdown in other parts of the system, turning a simple matter of duct sealing into a major repair call. But how can you spot a problem that’s hidden in the crawlspaces or other inaccessible parts of your home? Luckily, there’s a few telltale signs that you should look out for.
- Cold spots forming on nearby walls, caused by conditioned air blowing out of the breach. (This could be a warm spot in the winter, when the air is heated.)
- An excess of dust appearing in your air flow, pulled into the breach by the normal flow of air.
- An unexpectedly high cooling bill without any apparent cause.
- Hums, whistles or other strange noises emanating from your walls or attic. The noises will likely stop when you turn off your air conditioner.
- Reduced air flow coming from one or more affected vents in your home.
- Air from one vent being warmer than air in other vents.
When you spot these signs, turn off your system immediately and call Avis Plumbing Heating and Air to get the issue fixed the right way!